Sunday, March 17, 2024

Let's Discuss: Are you ever afraid to talk about books?


 

I am very much a mood reader. Sometimes I'm in the mood for something light, sometimes monster romance, sometimes angst, and sometimes I'm looking for something that feels real. Every once in a while we're all going to find one that hits hard. Books that affect us do it in different ways. Sometimes it's a book boyfriend we love or worldbuilding we love or something else. Other times it hits us because of something personal just to us. 

For me, one of those books was Don't Cry for Me by Daniel Black. It's a book about a father, on his death bed, writing letters to his gay son who he has almost no relationship with because he couldn't understand his son as a person, let along a gay person. Most people who talk about the book just call it "heartbreaking" or "so sad" and I get it. I was at a bookstore with a bunch of people, and suggested the book to someone I knew. Another person responded in one (or both) of the previously mentioned ways, which was understandable. The book is in fact heartbreaking and so sad. 

I tried to explain why those aren't necessarily the first words I would use to describe the book. As I mentioned in my review of this title a while back, I've heard from other people who have similar backgrounds to mine, there's something about this book that shines a light of understanding on situations from our childhood that made no sense at the time. Parents who were too strict, who didn't show a range of emotion. The push from family for bootstrapping. The constant push to be the best of the best of the best. While there are a million reasons parents and family members may have acted that way, to have family (alive now) who were born into the Jim Crow south, who had family of their own who were sharecroppers and remembered family talking about life on the plantation... to have that in your real, every day life, and then read a book like Don't Cry for Me... it just does something to you. It puts some of the interactions from our past into perspective. It doesn't change things. It doesn't fix things. But there is power in a narrative that helps you understand the why. Jacob's story wasn't my fathers story or my grandfathers story, but in a way it was. And Jacob's son Isaac's story wasn't mine, but parts of it were. 

This might be one of those "if you know, you know" situations. And I imagine if someone is reading this book, and they were the gay child who was abandoned by their family, the book is going to hit completely differently. Someone once said that everyone reads the same book differently, and they're right. 

Anyway, while I was trying to fumble and explain everything that I just wrote above, the person who'd described the book as heartbreaking and so sad, kind of jumped over me to give a quick synopsis of the book and it felt... I don't know... kind of diminishing? It made me kind of sad that the thoughts and feelings that I was trying to convey were tossed aside. Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts, feelings, and ideas. What one person sees and decides is important in a book may not matter to someone else and that's alright. I believe that whole heartedly, but that experience leaves me with one question. 

Are you every afraid to talk about books that had such an enormous affect on you because of how others might react?

8 comments:

  1. Interesting! I haven't been in this exact situation, but sometimes talking about books on the internet is hard. I want to tell personal stories and explain exactly why a book resonated with me, but I also don't want to overshare and cause problems with people in my real life. I have to remember that anyone can see my blog. There are times when I called books "heartbreaking" or "sad" because I didn't know how to be more specific without offending my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think there is a fine line between oversharing and sharing just enough to connect with people. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. "It puts some of the interactions from our past into perspective. It doesn't change things. It doesn't fix things. But there is power in a narrative that helps you understand the why." Exactly. It never ceases to amaze me how often people read a book that deals with some universal issue or question without recognizing that, although the context may differ, these questions pertain to being human. I (almost) hate to say this, but I think a lot of people plow quickly through a book, interested only in plot ("what happens at the end") without thinking at all about the story's themes and implications. Thanks for an interesting Discussion Challenge post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! Some folks just power read which isn't always bad, but some books really require more than that. There's so much substance and the work requires more attention.

      Delete
  3. I have definitely read books that reflected a very personal experience, and I think when it's personal, it will affect you in a different way from a reader who doesn't share that experience. It is amazing when a book can give us some insight and help us see our own situation from a different point of view. I read a lot of character driven books with little plot, so I do savor sharing the characters' experiences and gleaning something from their personal journeys. In general, I have found that being in a minority opinion in anyway or seeing the story in a different way makes it harder to assert my opinion. I worry about how that would change someone's opinion about me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this book may have hit me hard, not only because of the content, but because I'm just now beginning to read more character driven books. I was always so plot focused and now that I'm finding myself slowing down and reading more about characters and family, it's changed my mindset a bit. I agree that it's hard when you have a minority opinion. I think that might be part of the reason why I started blogging. It's a place to share those opinions from the safety of my living room! Thank you so much for sharing.

      Delete
  4. Oh absolutely! I worry about that a lot- especially when I seem to feel a bit differently from everyone, for whatever reason. And then when you add personal experiences to it... yeah, it's certainly taking a risk of vulnerability. I am sorry that someone thought that your experiences and feelings about the book were not valid, that is crap, frankly! I mean- everyone experiences *every* book differently, right? And with a book like this, with such an emphasis on family relations, expectations, and trauma, obviously people ARE going to have extra personal reactions! Yours is no less valid than anyone else's, and you should not be made to feel that it is. I am really sorry that the person did that, but I am also really glad that you were able to share your connection to the story- someone else may read it and feel less alone ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Your words are so kind. I recently sat through a readers advisory workshop and the presenter said everyone read the same book differently and I think the experience I had and what you're saying is the perfect example of that. Everyone's thoughts are valid and I'm so glad to have found a space to share these thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete