Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Let's Discuss: Public Libraries Digital Collections


The 2024 Discussion Challenge hosted by Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction and Shannon @ It Starts at Midnight.

On and off I keep seeing things mainly, on Tik Tok about libraries and their digital collections. While I can scroll, heart, and share with the best of them, I cringe when I think about recording myself so this blog is all I've got and we're about to dive in to public libraries e books and e audiobooks. 

If I were talking to a library user and said something about library e-reading, the first platform to jump to a lot of brains is probably going to be Libby. I love that for you, Libby is cool. The second thought a lot of people have is, I like Hoopla better you don't have to wait for the books. 

Well let's chat about that. Many people don't know this, but when a public library purchases an e book or an e audiobook for their digital collection, it cost a shocking amount more than if a personal reader bough it. An audiobook might cost $20-$25 when you buy it though Amazon, but for the same title, a public library might pay $60-$75. In addition to that, when a library buys that audiobook, they're not buying it forever, the same way a person might on Audible or Libfo.fm (an audiobook platform that supports local bookstores. Referral link), it's typically a license that expires after a certain amount of time. For example, with libraries there may be a newest James Patterson and it will be a single use license (only one person can have it at a time) that expires after 24 checkouts, or expires after 18 months. When that license expires, the book disappears and if the library thinks people still want to read it, they have to purchase it again for another $60-$75 with the same license. In libraries, we know that books circulates the most in the first 3-5 years that it's in a library collection soooooo, think about the math. 

Typically because of the single use which then causes waiting list, those with access typically prefer Hoolpa. What is that you ask? Hoopla is a platform (that in some cases has movies, shows, and other fun items) where there are no waiting list because the platform allows for multiuse check outs. The people who I hear from who talk about Hoopla the most are folks from school systems with one to one devices (we got so many of these calls during Covid and online learning). If the whole class is reading The Outsiders (as they so often do) and it's available on Hoopla, the whole class can check out the book at the same time, and read it together. When people get upset, is that a library will have a system where a person can only check out 5 or 10 items on Hoopla per month. The reason libraries have a limited number of checkouts for their patrons is because they pay for every single checkout for every single titles. If 300 community members, check out their allotted 15 items, that library is paying for 4,500 checkouts. If those checkouts cost the library $2-$3, (the price of each title is decided by the publisher) a library could be paying over $13,000 just for those items if not more. Libraries have had to lower their Hoopla checkouts often because they can no longer afford the current checkout limit, or their budget has been cut and changes have to be made. It's a wild wild system but for anyone who has ever wondered, there is a very good reason that all of these rules exist and we're as cranky about most of them as the next person. 

Now, when I see people have these conversations on Tik Tok and I go to the comments I often see people who feel guilt about letting titles expire and then checking them out again or other things that they think may be costing the library money. DON'T DO THAT. I mean I understand the feelings of guilt but if I had a dollar for every book I checked out and didn't read... I think it's fine to adjust the decisions that we make once we have more information, but what would be great is helping libraries. Those checkout and renewal statistics are collected and sometimes libraries are able to use them to ask for more money to meet community need. Personal letters of appreciation are often used when it's budget season. A nice email from someone saying how much they value the public libraries digital collection is great because we're able to share words directly from the community and no one thinks we're making it up or anything.

I hope a better understanding of public libraries digital collection doesn't stop people or make people nervous about using them. We don't share this information to chastise people, only to inform them about something that's not common news. Honestly your checkouts aren't great. They're proof that people still use libraries even if some of them use them in a new way AKA digitally. 

If you're a library reader, particularly a digital library reader, say hi in the chat. I'd love to hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. I knew about the costs from a friend who was a librarian. The other interesting thing about Hoopla, that I found out, was that the selection depends on the price points from your library. So, not all Hooplas are the same. I expect this when using the eLibrary (via Libby) because that my library, but I didn't realize that about Hoopla. The other difference between library systems is that there could be a limit as to how many users can check out a title from Hoopla. That happened to my daughter where she got a message that the maximum number of users had checked out a title. I thought that was odd for the platform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes almost every library has a checkout limit in my state, they have to put a cap on it for budgetary reasons. Most libraries will have a monthly limit for each resident, but a friend of mine lives in a town where the library has a daily limit. Like they can only spend $5,000 a day via Hoopla checkouts, so if the residents spend that up by like, 10am, no one else can check out that day. So much of this is due to money which is why local budget season is so important. The more you know!

      Delete
  2. Wow. I had heard that digital books cost libraries a lot but this is... wow. It seems so tough for the libraries, who are just trying to get books to as many people as possible, but at that cost, how can they keep up with demand? I know when I had looked into my local library's system (we're probably talking about 7-8 years ago), it had... not much to offer. It was a county-wide system, but I live in a pretty small area. I wanted, I recall, to read Handmaid's Tale before the show came out, and the virtual line was like, years out or something like that. I ended up finding a physical copy at my mom's library, but yeah. Thank you for sharing this information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's harder in smaller areas, but a lot of these company will base the price on population served so that's something I guess. I know my library will try to buy additional copies of a title when they see there are a lot of holds on it, but that all depends on what they can afford. You're right that libraries are just trying to share books with those who need us and those who want to use us, but capitalism ruins so many things. I just hope that sharing information will help a bit.

      Delete