Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Review: The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi

The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi
Publisher: Mira
Publication Date: March 3, 2020
Narrated by: Sneha Mathan
Library: For sure!

Synopsis

Vivid and compelling in its portrait of one woman’s struggle for fulfillment in a society pivoting between the traditional and the modern, The Henna Artist opens a door into a world that is at once lush and fascinating, stark and cruel.

Escaping from an abusive marriage, seventeen-year-old Lakshmi makes her way alone to the vibrant 1950s pink city of Jaipur. There she becomes the most highly requested henna artist—and confidante—to the wealthy women of the upper class. But trusted with the secrets of the wealthy, she can never reveal her own…
Known for her original designs and sage advice, Lakshmi must tread carefully to avoid the jealous gossips who could ruin her reputation and her livelihood. As she pursues her dream of an independent life, she is startled one day when she is confronted by her husband, who has tracked her down these many years later with a high-spirited young girl in tow—a sister Lakshmi never knew she had. Suddenly the caution that she has carefully cultivated as protection is threatened. Still she perseveres, applying her talents and lifting up those that surround her as she does.

Review

I've learned that reading books that are peppered with words from other languages and/ or that are about other cultures, the best way for me to absorb them is through audio book. I love hearing words pronounced appropriately and listening to the names of people and places. The inflection of the audiobook reader really paints a picture!

This is one of those books that I think everyone reads different. I LOVED it even though it took me on a wild emotional roller coaster and I wanted to shake so many of the characters :)

I felt so much rage for Lakshmi, she worked so hard to build something for herself, a reputation, a home, comfort. and everything disintegrated before her eyes and mine.

Radha. Girl. What!!! One day, she's a shy wide eyed child, the next, she's still all of that technically but... goodness. I think what killed me the most about Radha was that she knew she knew that Lakshmi had to work hard to build a life for the two of them. She didn't spend less time with Radha because she was mean, but because she had to feed them, put clothes on their back, a roof over their heads, while trying to fulfill the dream of building them their own home. But did Radha care... Ugh.

That doesn't mean that Lakshmi didn't have some messy moments. Samir... don't even get me started. I didn't trust that man as far as I could throw him. It was wild to watch Lakshmi get so upset at Radha, then make very very similar mistakes. 

Hari. Who saw that coming. I have to tell you, I didn't. Do we forgive him for the way he treated Lakshmi when they were first married. Absolutely not, but I think it could have been so easy for the author to make him the typical husband villain, but we were given so much more!

Honestly the only person that I didn't want to shake (in the best way, obviously) was Malik, and apparently the second book in the series is his!!

This book has to be one of the best examples of writing multidimensional flawed characters. I don't know when, but I'll absolutely be reading book two. I already checked to make sure it was at my library!

2 comments:

  1. I love audio for fantasy for the exact same reason. This sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I audio a lot of fantasy too! The readers really set the scene and paint a great picture!

      Delete